CAPTAIN JAMES DAVIS CHAPTER
The Captain James Davis Chapter was organized June 3, 1988 and chartered March 18, 1989. The chapter holds its meetings on the Saturdays in January, March, May, September and November.
The chapter is named for James Davis who was an English ship captain and author. He was part of the expedition of the Virginia Company of Plymouth which established the short-lived Popham Colony, also called "Northern Virginia."
Davis was master of the ship Mary & John which sailed to the New World to the coast of Maine. He is believed to be the author of an account of this voyage entitled, The Relation of a Voyage into New England begun from the Lizard, ye first of June, 1607. He was the commander of the fort built on the Kennebec River, August 19, 1607, by the Sagadahoc New England Colony (the colony was made up of knights and gentlemen from Bristol.
The short-lived colony built its fort and log buildings near present-day Phippsburg, Maine in August 1607. The Virginia, a pinnace was also constructed to demonstrate shipbuilding potential of the new colony. When the Popham Colony closed in 1608 due to the severity of the winter, the Virginia was one of the vessels to carry the surviving colonists back to England, probably sailed by Davis.